Friday, April 11, 2014

My Mystery Quilt Layout

As this Applique Mystery Quilt Along is soon to be completed, here is how my quilt is shaping up; as I prepare each lesson to share with you.


COMPLETING THE QUILT TOP

With the applique blocks and pieced blocks ready and sewn together to make up the quilt top; here is how adding borders will complete the project, and update the look.


BORDER ONE
Using a narrow border, in a darker color; works well to add a framed look to the activity in the blocks; like a frame on a painting. The blue-green fabric was also used on the domino framed blocks.

BORDER ONE


BORDER TWO
The second border provides the surface area needed to apply my chosen swag applique; and give it added interest on this busy quilt.

I chose to use three colors (blue-green, yellow, and pink) on the domino frame and also bring it to the outer borders. My blocks needed to be brightened up and the pink definitely provided that intensity.

BORDER TWO


BORDER TWO--APPLIQUES
I wanted to add interest on this border; and so applied a swag applique to help showcase the handiwork of all the appliques used on the quilt top.

Here, I used a yellow; and instead of the bright yellow used in the domino framed blocks; I decided to use the same yellow as was used on the sun applique.

APPLIQUE DETAIL ON BORDER TWO


BORDER THREE

There are always decisions to make as one builds a quilt. Here were a few good reasons to consider adding an additional border:

1.)  It was only after I has added the swag applique, that I realized I had cut the strips for border two; at two and one-half inches, instead of the three inches wide they should have been. (That's what happens when I want to quilt late at night.) So I had less space between the applique and where the binding would be added. What should I do about this?

2.)  I found I had indeed brightened the look of the quilt; however, now it was just way too pink for my liking. So if I added a darker color, it should bring down the intensity of the pink. (Your computer screen may make this border look more red or orange. But it is very pink!)

3.) I was considering adding piping or lace, on the outer edge, so wanted to have more distance between the swag on this border two and the binding. And I didn't really know how wide this border should be, either; so made it two inches wide, so I could make this decision later.

4.) As a general rule, it is a good tip to have the ability of trimming the final border narrower, if desired; and to ensure it is even and has square corners, when trimming all three layers. Here, I would have possibly cut into my swag applique, if my quilt needed extra squaring up, before adding the binding.

So, here is how my quilt looks with the extra border in brown:

BONUS: BORDER THREE


I decided that I really did need to add an extra border; and this color will provide a better background for my chosen binding fabric.  So, my quilt will be a few inches larger than the original pattern indicates.

The final post on this mystery quilt, will show up in a few weeks, when the last lesson has been posted on the website. Thanks for coming along on this quilt journey with me.

Happy Quilting....



3 comments:

alcira said...

comenté sobre su blog y de querer participar en edredón del 2015, no puedo mandar la foto del anterior, porque no conocía su página

alcira said...

He enviado dos comentarios y se me ha olvidado mi correo, el cual es: laraca@live.com gracias por lo que pueda hacer por mi pues hace poco empece con el patchwork y estoy muy emocionada. gracias. Quiero volver a contarle que sólo hasta ahora descubro su bello blog, nuevamente gracias.

Darlee said...

Thanks Alcira. I'll let you know by email when 2015 quilt along is to begin. I haven't made any final decisions on this yet.