Sunday, April 18, 2010

Classic Quilts

Book:
Thimbleberries
New Collection of Classic Quilts/ by Lynette Jensen

Time to reveal my next project... I choose: "High Country Pinwheels - Christmas" on page 64. (There are two designs:  one is done in blue fabrics and the other in Christmas fabrics.)

Fabrics, Book

So, for a different type of quilt then I normally make, I chose this one – no applique, no embellishments, just the color choices and how the fabric pieces are placed to create the complete design.


OBSERVATIONS:

I do find this type of quilt very easy to assemble and it seems piecing is a popular technique of many quilters. As all you need is the ability to cut up fabric and sew straight lines. However, the results are inspiring, as the finished design ALWAYS looks more complicated then it really is to make.

Also apparent to me, many people love to make bed quilts, so this book is a great place to explore for these classic and popular designs. 

If you would like to see the quilt project titles and sizes for this book, you may find them on my website listed under "T". All the books that have been reviewed on this blog, have this information on my website.


MY PROCESS:

Still having a good supply of Christmas fabrics, it was time to use up some more of them in this project. And, I bought this book several years ago through a book club and it was time to give it a try… 

Since most of these classic projects are for larger size quilts then I can quilt on my own machine, I have scaled it down considerably. It is my goal to create small quilts while I try out new techniques and enjoy the process of expanding my skill level.


Cutting the Fabrics

Sewing the Small Pieces Together

Binding - 1/2" wide


Finished Quilt
 Size: 32 1/4” x 32 1/4”


Next week...
My next book choice and then a reveal the following week. If you wish to see what books are being featured you can also check out my website for more details.

Happy stitching!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I really like your choice of the light and background fabrics. They work well together and the light completes the pattern, but kinda dissappears at the same time.

Darlee said...

Thanks so much for your comments.