Sunday, March 21, 2010

Watercolor Landscape Quilts

Book:
Watercolor Landscape Quilts by Cathy Geier

Time to reveal my next project... I choose: "A Lake Superior Maple" on page 77.

I remember liking this one when I first paged through the book but kept looking because I didn’t have the maple leaf fabric that the quilt is named after.

Fabrics, Book
DSC05209

However, when should that stop anyone from trying? After I could not decide on another project, this was the one I returned to make. As in all these projects I wanted to learn the technique and use fabrics I already had in my supply, therefore, I’d just change things I couldn’t duplicate. This is what I discovered:

There are a lot of squares to cut, but the sewing method is what makes the difference in how easily it goes together. I had bought a fusible interfacing with printed gridlines (2" squares) to save time with the line drawing. It also would save time if you place the squares on the fusible side so you eliminate the gluing of the pieces. Since this grid was smaller then the recommended size my quilt is smaller then the original project.

The squares ready to place on the grid
DSC05213 (1024x768) (2)

The reason I said, you would save time, is that I didn’t realize it had a fusible side until I was ironing it!! Why it didn’t dawn on me, is still a mystery? I would definitely have enjoyed utilizing the fusible for keeping the pieces in place, rather then using the glue stick!

One could also increase the size of the squares to make those fabric squares easier to work with, especially those that have more detail. Also, by using this interfacing like material, there was no need to remove it once the seams have been sewn.

The design coming together
DSC05255 

Sewing the rows
DSC05276 (1024x768)

I had some colors that matched the color scheme but not enough for binding, so I used them as a mock piping before adding the border. Then I used the same fabric from the tree for a mock piping on the outside edge.

If adding piping to the outer edge, I recommend you put together all three layers and square up your quilt before adding piping to the outer edge. I ended up taking mine off so I could square up the quilt and then sewed it back on before adding the binding.

Showing the mock piping
DSC05328 (1024x768)

Buttons to embellish the corners   
DSC06614

Will I Revisit This Book…
At first, I thought this would be that ‘ugly’ quilt I’d make, because:

  • My fabric choice (how could this fabric look like leaves)
  • My dirty iron (as I didn’t notice just how bad it was until I pressed the sky section and got fusible on the front)



    However, after I washed the quilt and realized it was going to turn out looking okay, why worry about such things, as this is all part of the learning process. I didn't think I'd want to ever do this technique again, but there is one project at level 3 that I’d like to master, so one day it just may happen!


    Finished QuiltDSC06618 (2) (Size: 22” x 25 3/4”)

    Next week...  
    My next book choice and then a reveal the following week. If you wish to see what books are being featured you can also check out my website for more details.

    Happy stitching!!

    3 comments:

    Janet said...

    Not at all ugly! Very nice in fact!

    Kathy said...

    I really like the fabrics you used for the trees and then again for the piping.....I love piping!

    Pretty clever of you to use the fusible grid! I am planning to use it for a border project and love nice your quilt came out using it.

    Darlee Byron said...

    Thanks. I enjoyed the project, even though it didn't start out that way. And the fusible grid was a real time saver.