Saturday, November 28, 2009

Project Item #2

Project Complete:
2. "Little Church in the Country” – wall-hanging

This quilt was bought as a kit - pattern, fabric for quilt top, and binding included. I really liked it when I seen it, but I waited because I wasn't ready to let go of that much cash ($80) and then one day is was on for 50% off at the quilt shop. Oh yes, that day I did buy it. It didn't get made for about four years. Now, it is ready!!

I would have preferred for a professional long arm quilting machine person to quilt it, but I decided to try it myself. So, the quilting is only done around the applique designs as I am not ready to try free-motion quilting, just yet.

Top of Quilt (close-ups)

Using a broom handle, I found a place to hang it for these pictures.

I asked my older sister back in the spring of this year, if she'd like any of my quilts that I had made and still had in my collection. And she liked this one, which was only a quilt top at the time, so I am happy to get it finished so I can send it to her. It does feel really nice to be able to stitch up some things for her as she had to always make three dresses, one for herself and two for her two younger siblings, so many years ago for those special occasions. Thanks Sis!! 

Finished Quilt

The pattern is from Meme's Quilts and I really like all her designs. I have made a few of her designs in the past and one day I'll get them put up in the gallery on my website. I always make some changes to the design, as that is how I make quilts, unless of course, I have designed the pattern myself.

Enjoy your preparations for the Holiday Season!

Friday, November 27, 2009

Project Item #5

Project Complete:
5. Christmas Medallion - table topper

I called this one an orphan block because it was a technique I wanted to try but didn't have any purpose for it at the time. It is a stained glass window design using ready-made fusible bias. So, as the Christmas season approaches it seemed fitting to decide to do a table topper project to get it ready for the holidays.  And, entering it in a contest at the quilting gallery was an added bonus.

There wasn't really much work involved to finish the quilt top as a table topper - sew down the remaining bias at the center and add borders to the finished size I wanted. I decided I was just going to keep it small and so added two borders in the green and gold fabrics that were used in the center. I did add red fabric to add depth to the middle of the design and it really stands out nicely.

Center of Design

Adding red fabric and using metallic gold thread to online the design.

I would rather pay someone else to quilt the layers together, however, there comes a time when more difficult techniques need a fair chance, and so I headed into that task.  I at first tried copying the design's shape but was not happy with my attempt. So, I enjoyed an hour of ripping the stitches out and after a break came back to it and thought, I can do straight lines better, so I really simplified it and added some metallic gold thread to the stitching.

Background of Center block

Quilting with straight lines outside the design

 The completed quilt - size: 28 1/4" x 28 1/4"

I hope you enjoy planning for the upcoming holidays - in all the many ways we celebrate the season.  When I find my notebook, I'll add the designer's name and the book I found this pattern in, later as I started this several years ago.

Happy Quilting and Enjoy the Festive Season!